Monday, August 22, 2011

Of Mice and Scared Man


I'm sure you might be asking what on earth the photo above has to do with mice and men, but I will get there. Since my last entry I've been crazy busy with work so I could prepare to take a week to travel to Michigan for my Grandpa Louis' memorial service. If you've been reading my blog you know I named my Scotty after my Grandfather, who showed me how to appreciate the great outdoors in his huge backyard in the Great Lakes State. Last time I was in Michigan we buried my Grandmother, so returning for an equally sad occasion wasn't terribly uplifting. As the smart ass of the family, however, it is my job (or at least I think it is) to keep the mood light, family happy and entertainment going. I had intended on taking my Scotty, Louis, to Michigan and camping on my grandparents property near Cadillac, Michigan in the middle of the state. With gas prices soaring and limited time, I decided to fly so I'd have more time with my family. Before I left I asked Joe to please check on Louis (trailer) every day, peek inside to make sure nothing leaked and just say "hello" when walking by (is that too much to ask, I thought?). Well, apparently it was. I was pleased to find NO LEAKS upon my return after several major down pours, however I walked in this morning with my cup of Joe and paper, opened a drawer to grab a spoon and yet out a yelp heard around the Hudson River Valley...someone had been enjoying Louis while I was a way! Actually, from the look of it, many someone's were enjoying him. Mouse droppings EVERYWHERE. Now, I was always under the assumption that mice followed food, so of course I never, ever leave food anywhere near the trailer. First on my list today is to find a way to get rid of these nasty critters (why didn't the snake I saw weeks ago eat them???). I've heard dryer sheets work (I did that, so apparently they don't), so I need to find another alternative that won't leave the little critters dead in my trailer. Stay tuned. In the meantime, while in Michigan tooting around on my Uncles boat in Lake Charlevoix, I spotted a sail cloth similar to this one and thought it was a really cool way to shade beach-goers, AND would make for the perfect protection for Louis back in New York. I popped on the internet and discovered that everyone under the sun, including Ikea, sell them (many for well under $100) so I jumped in my car and headed to Ikea. The sail cloth I found for $79 is 25' square, so covers him perfectly. If nasty rains do beat down on us, at least he'll have a little more protection! Now off to Home Depot for suggestions on how to get rid of these nasty critters...if you have any, please email me!

2 comments:

  1. At Lowe's--and I suspect at home depot also--they have these mouse traps that capture them alive and then you just take them far away and pop open the little "door". You should see just how fast these guys make a run for it!! You put peanut butter--or just a very small peanut (shelled one)--at one end. We caught around 20 mice this way during the winter--it's a LONG story! Just make sure you go far away from Louis or your house. It sure beats dealing with a dead mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you use dryer sheets..they have to be Bounce! I guess the mice are brand savy or something but it's true.
    Plug up any holes with steel wool after you know they are outta there!!

    ReplyDelete