Friday, June 27, 2014

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED…DEAL WITH IT!



I'm clearly not a purist when it comes to the design of my 68' Scotty, because I'm not terribly concerned with bringing it back to that era with the interior decor.  That said, I am a Gemini and an interior designer (what does that mean, exactly? I'm constantly changing my mind and have little patience!).  While many install the beautiful boomerang countertops, I decided two things: they are far too expensive for me at this point in the game (I think the cost flirts with $400) and they would battle with the back splash I've already installed and LOVE (and, yes, I know they are only sticky tiles and can be easily removed).  So, as the camping season quickly approached as we raced away from a freezing cold winter here in the northeast, I decided to attack my countertop project.  My goal was simple…to install a countertop that wouldn't giggle apart on the road and that would look half way decent.  Setting lower standards, in my opinion, means I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get a positive result.  So I zipped off to the Home Depot and picked up a piece of wood I knew I could stain and that was thick enough to take the molding I ordered from www.vintagetrailersupply.com (total for trim and shipping was around $25 I believe).  I came home and trimmed the piece to fit, giving me about an inch overhang on two sides (remember I have the flip up counter on the gaucho side).  Because I wanted a pickled look to match the lighter tones in my tiled backsplash, I picked a grey-ish stain and clear poly.  MISTAKE #1: I sanded the wood prior to staining in the opposite direction of the grain.  This means, for my very critical eye, I can see fine scratches on the countertop. OH WELL.  After cutting the hole for my sink (more on that ebay find later and my cool pump water system) I sanded the edges with my power sander, rounding the corners.  Quite honestly, I would have left them just like you see them in the top two photos.  Take a peak at photo three and you'll see why…I have NO CLUE how people round a corner without the trim dimpling.  I tried to cut it in the corners…huge mistake.  So, I had just enough to flip the trim around, placing the nasty edge nearest the gaucho.  When I re-installed the trim I used a rubber mallet to pound it as smooth as possible.  It still doesn't look perfect, but then again, neither am I!  I step back from this project and feel a tiny sense of pride.  I love it.  And, had I splurged for the boomerang and hated it, I'd also be sad at the amount of money spent…this counter was less than $50, so like many clients of mine, next season I can change it again if I get the urge!

No comments:

Post a Comment