Monday, April 11, 2011

SPRING FLING





It's been a long, cold winter here in the Northeast and what do we like to do when it's so dark and cold we can't go outside? Well, Joe orders car brochures from every company from Porsche and Audi to Fiat and Ford. I order travel trailer brochures, check the internet for great deals and fantasize about warm days when I can hitch up, head out and have fun. So, this year on a cold, wet, snowy April morning I headed out to rural Pennsylvania (Lancaster, PA to be exact) where I had seen an ad on Craigs List offering a "vintage trailer in need of TLC." After a few email exchanges the owner told me it was a 1979 Serro Scotty HiLander. I did a little research and discovered these little gems with their aqua stripes and simple interiors, have just as big of a following as the popular Airstreams. Because the deal was a steal, I thought, "why not?" After driving through snow, rain, sleet and wind with no working electric ANYTHING, I pulled him into our driveway and waited until dawn to check him out. So, here's what I saw. I've ripped apart houses and put them back together, I thought, so why not try this great little trailer??

1 comment:

  1. Paul, I just purchased a 1981 Serro Scotty 21 footer!! For the past few days I've been crazily searching the internet for decorating ideas (like my head isn't full of millions of ideas already). I kept pulling up your camper Louis named after your grandfather. That touched my heart, you see, my daughter, Enola is named after my Grandmother. I have the greatest love for my grandparents even though they have been gone since 1981 and 1983.

    After finally taking the time to read your article on Louis I just had to go to your profile!! Honey, I feel like I know you!! lol We must be related somehow..... seriously as I am reading your other posts I am seeing many of my thoughts and ideas in your writing.... Too funny. I am a Southern Belle from Prospect, Tennessee (originally an Alabama girl). I have been to your Big Apple and must say I love it!! My daughter, Enola has been to New York City at least a dozen times and she's only 22. If you and Joe ever want to take a trip to Tennessee let me know and we would love to have you stay with us. I just bought a home built in 1900 and I'm having so much fun working on it. My previous 1857 home burned 5 years ago. I finally have my spirit back and am happy again. Let me tell you I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and I've decided to really live the 2nd half of my life. In addition to the camper I've purchased a "new to me" SUV and two 150cc Scooters!!

    I would love to see more posts on your renovation of the camper you purchased. In the mean time I will be reading your other posts.

    Have a wonderful 4th of July and come see us if you ever find yourself at the Alabama/Tennessee line!! Sincerely, Nanette

    ReplyDelete