Friday, April 29, 2011


Sharing these photos is kind of like going to the wall in your underpants. I'm embarrassed, for whatever reason, to peel back the layers and reveal the ugly truth. But, it's part of moving forward I guess. This is the part of the story where I get a bit overwhelmed in the rebuild process (I know I'm jumping all around here in the chronological order of photos on this blog, but I was getting ahead of myself). I knew I would be shocked by what I found when I peeled back the exterior wall, but this floored me! However, to keep from totally spinning out of control I simply removed ONE section at a time. I took detailed photos so I could put it back together when the time was right, and kept all crucial pieces (rot or otherwise) so I could make the EXACT piece again (note in photo where I recreated a side support). So, just when you start to question why you've taken on this project, look at the tiny pieces as one huge victory at a time. When I replace a piece of rotted wood with a clean, new piece (big or small) I know I'm one step closer to getting on the road!
WHAT I DID: Focused on the worst sections first, starting on the bottom and working my way up. Instead of ripping apart, I slowly peeled the old away so not to destroy any pieces I may need to copy or reuse.
HOW MUCH THIS COST ME: Not a penny. Again, I'm reusing wood from home projects to keep costs down.
HOW STRESSED I WAS: Stress was high, but I had to step back and realize it's just one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. You are soooo not alone in this process. Most everyone that has rehabbed their own little Scotty has been in your shoes...some a little better and some much worse.
    I often wonder if the people buying the new 2010 and 2011 Scotty could love them as much as we do ours, because we put heart, sweat and soul into keeping these babies alive and camping.