Tuesday, June 14, 2011
A Window into the future
As soon as the temperature drops low enough on the east coast to go outside, so do the raindrops...and lots of them, so I haven't been able to do a lot of the projects I've wanted to attack on Louis after his maiden voyage. Instead, I've made a list of all of the little projects that can make you completely insane, and have decided to start checking those off my long list while I wait for Mother Nature to cooperate. I started this project with a very tight budget and that, like the economy, hasn't changed so I'm trying to stick to it! I used to drop $300 on jeans without blinking an eye (which makes my left eye twitch now thinking about it) and, as much as I want an awing on Louis, I just can't justify spending $300 on one. So, I have decided to make my own...and think I can do it for less than $20, but you'll have to check back after the sun comes out for that project. In the meantime, as I said, it's the little projects that often get ignored (at least in my house) that have to be done. Take the screens on the windows, for example. And, Mr. Serro, who knew such a little trailer could have SO MANY?? When I bought Louis the screens were fine, yet aged and a bit "crumbly" for lack of a better term. Add my unseasoned swing of an axe to remove the back bunk, and well, you've suddenly got a tear in a screen window. Flash to an evening in the trailer, and I have a family of mosquito's feasting on my skin. Because we were in the process of screening in one of our back porches at home, I used those same materials for Louis (which happened to be the same size) but I noticed at both Home Depot and Lowe's a roll of screen and the rubber casings wouldn't cost more than $20. I did not, however, splurge on the $8 tool suggested for pushing the rubber into the slots around the window. I opted for my pizza cutter with a piece of painters tape wrapped around the blade to keep it from cutting my rubber.
HERE'S WHAT I DID: I laid my first window out on a large, flat surface and removed the old, dirty screen. I then cut a piece of new screen, a slightly darker tint to make the trailer a bit cooler inside, about six inches wider all around and secured it to the flat surface with strong tape, making sure it was tight over the window. I then slowly laid down the long, coiled rubber molding inside the grooves and pushed it in with my pizza cutter. While one window took me about a half hour, I'm sure I'll get faster as I go along. Hopefully, with a little care, these will last a long, long time!
WHAT THIS PROJECT COST ME: Not a penny