Tuesday, May 3, 2011

PROGRESS REPORT





As a kid I mastered the fine art of forging my mother's signature to avoid the pain and grief of producing a substandard report card. My parents were not hard on us at all, don't get me wrong, it was the internal shame that beat the crap out of me. How could I be so stupid to fail math? Why don't I understand Biology or care one bit about History? Well, times have changed (sort of). I still don't understand the point of Calculus in my business (never used it in hosting a show or designing a room...), but WOW, history was made this weekend, wasn't it? Wherever you fall on the political fence, you must believe progress was made this weekend. Where it will take us, who knows. In our neck of the woods another bit of history was made, or remade as it was. Louis got a much needed interior makeover this weekend. If the real Louis were still alive, he would roll his eyes at the wallpaper, I'm sure, but say nothing but positive things about my progress. I'm creating a flashback interior to the 70's using this great wallpaper I found on Amazon (tempaper for $56) which I'm using to accent the aluminum and white interior. So it isn't too overwhelming, I am breaking up the aqua and sliver paper with white walls on the refrigerator wall and kitchen wall. I think it's looking pretty cool but I have a long, long way to go! If I were grading myself I'd give it about a B- so far and in the world of Serro Scotty Enthusiasts and what I've seen them do to their trailers, I'd give myself a C-.
WHAT I DID: The wallpaper I found is a waterproof, reusable paper called Tempaper, specifically created for designers who stage homes for the real estate market. Throw this paper on a wall, wait until the house sells then take it right off with no problems at all. If you want to keep it, it is moisture retardant and can survive just about anything. In Louis where the walls did not need total replacement yet, I created a few blemishes when removing the ceiling and other walls. To fix (or hide) those, I covered them with the paper. Now that I have a stainless backsplash, wood floors and aluminum ceilings, the paper is a nice way to give it a funky twist.
HOW MUCH IT COST ME: The aluminum ceiling cost $45 for a 4x8 panel, which took three to cover the entire roof. The wallpaper was $56, and the patience to do it all: priceless

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog, Paul!

    We have an old Scotty that's been sitting in the driveway for a year and I'm finally ready to dig in. I have similar budget constrictions, and would love to see some of the nitty gritty work that you've put in. I love the design work you've done, but I can't even think about that part until I get it to stop leaking.

    Do you have any tips on making structural and watertight repairs on a budget? I'd love to strip the thing down to the frame, put up new sides, and re-skin it. But that's not possible right now.

    Thanks, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete