Friday, May 20, 2011

Behind Curtain #1


I love a nice view. This shot was taken a few months ago from our home, looking north at the Hudson River and West Point. I have yet to put anything on our windows, and probably won't, because in my humble opinion putting any coverings on the windows would distract from our view. This is usually the case with most interior design projects I tackle; for sleeping, I love black out shades, but during the day I prefer to have windows open, uncovered, making a room beautiful and bright. When it comes to my Scotty, however, I think I want a little privacy when camping, so today I'm tackling the project of window coverings. Now, I don't sew. I auditioned to host a show on the Discovery Channel a few years ago and in the middle of the audition the director said, "in the next set up you are going to sew curtains with the home owner." I turned bright red and almost wet my pants, to which the director asked, "you DO sew, don't you??" Lights, camera and NO action, because I had no clue how to turn on the sewing machine! If only I had my good friend Michael to help back then...Michael's arts and crap store, that is! I say crap, because boy oh boy are these craft stores full of it, but I sifted through the mounds of junk (actually just asked for help) and found iron on tape or double stick tape specifically designed for people who don't have the time or know how to sew. A few cuts of the fabric, a nice fold at the top for the rod to slip through, double stick tape and there you go! While they'll most likely be pulled open during the day so I can enjoy the view, they will be nice when I want a long, dark snooze!

No comments:

Post a Comment