Friday, May 13, 2011

Out of the box cooking


Today marked the six week point from when I pulled Louis in rain, snow and a heck of a lot of wind from his home in Pennsylvania to our place in the Hudson Valley. While I'm not totally finished with my renovation process (I still need a rear window, new tires and work on the lighting system) I decided to throw an impromptu cocktail party and light dinner in my trailer tonight. Why the heck not, I say! I invited a few friends who have never been inside a camper, much less camped in one. It was also a good way for me to try out a few things before I hit the road...how does that lighting work over there, how many more pillows do I need on the daybed to make it comfortable, do I need to reinforce the benches, etc. So, while my next blog will get back to my restoration pictures, I thought this one would take a little vacation from the nuts and bolts of the trailer and to something I will actually DO in the trailer. One of my friends asked if I would just eat "out of the box" when I camp, to which I glared at her and began to prepare my totally homemade, delicious (dare I say), easy to make Vinaigrette salad dressing. I keep old jelly jars because they are perfect for shaking things up at the campsite. Here's what I do:
Because this dressing can last up to four days (or more) I prepare it at home, so I don't have to bring all the extra ingredients to camp. In a measuring cup I prepare the following:
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard (I usually squeeze a bit more in as it makes it extra yummy)
2 minced garlic cloves (once I chop them, I add a little salt and smash together with the bottom of a spoon, then pour it in)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup of olive oil
I whisk all of this together until well blended, then dip the handle of my spoon in for a little taste. Pour the rest in the jar and I'm ready to go. Once we get to camp I shake it up and pour it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment